Cell phones have become the lifeline for busy professionals, and that’s especially true for realtors. Since life is “always-on” with cell phones, the need for etiquette and common courtesy has never been more important. Consider our top 7 tips for cell phone use for realtors.
- Limit Your Public Chatter – Don’t forget that everyone around can hear everything you say. Not only can your comments be mis-construed by someone only hearing one side of the conversation, but a steady stream of one-sided chatter is annoying to those around you.
- Be Respectful of Where You Are – While you may need to stay connected at all times, there are limits to when and where you should use a cellphone. While it may be acceptable to talk on your phone while walking down the street, other places—like restaurants, places of religious worship, public transportation, or movie theaters—should remain off-limits for cell phone use.
- Be Available, Within Reason – In meetings with your sellers or buyers make every attempt to give them your full, undivided attention during your appointment and resist taking calls that may come in during that time. If you’re expecting an urgent call during the meeting, let the client know that you have left your phone on as you are waiting for a call you must answer.
- Return Missed Calls Promptly – If it is necessary to miss a call—particularly from a client—make an effort to return the missed call as soon as possible.
- Be Safe – Cell phones are an ideal way to get business accomplished while on the go, and it may be impossible to avoid occasionally answering the phone while driving. Safety should always come first, though, so look into Bluetooth headsets or other hands-free devices for use while driving.
- Keep Confidential – Never discuss confidential client information over the cell phone in a public place. Move to a private space to take a potentially confidential call. Ideally, make an effort to schedule such calls for times when you know you’ll be in the office or at home.
- Stay Professional – Stick to a generic, professional sounding ringtone instead your favorite song. Keeping your phone on vibrate or silent mode during meetings or when in public is a smart tactic—blaring ringtones are the ultimate no-no.
We know you are busy, so let us help. Contact Ohio Real Title today for all of your closing needs.